Being charged with a sex crime is an incredibly serious matter. At the law firm of Sweeney and Associates, LLC we are compassionate, highly knowledgeable and trial-experienced in the area of sex crimes defense.
- We're Available 24/7
- Backed By 20+ Years Of Combined Experience
- Fixed & Hourly Billing Rates Provided
- Retired Boston Police Sergeant On Your Side
Do not talk to the police or investigators about your case until you have spoken with your attorney. Call (617) 300-0212 or contact us online today!
Penalties of Conviction in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts and most other states, convicted sex offenders are required to register with the state's Sex Offender Registry Board (SORB). This is one of the worst consequences of a sex crime conviction. Even misdemeanor offenses require SORB registration for 20 years, even if you were a juvenile at the time of the offense.
Depending on the type of sex crime you are convicted for, you may be able to petition the SORB to terminate your registration early if you have been registered for at least 10 years. However, even if you are eligible to apply for relief, there is still no guarantee that your request will be allowed. Successfully terminating your duty to register early can be very difficult. Certain sex crimes involving children or violence require registration for life and cannot be terminated under any circumstances.
Penalties you could face:
- If charged and convicted on a rape charge the penalty is up to 20 years in state prison.
- For a second or subsequent conviction you can get a life sentence.
- If you are convicted of rape and used a deadly weapon, you can receive a 10 year prison sentence at minimum.
If you are convicted and required to register with the SORB, your name and reputation will likely be tarnished forever. You'll face significant restrictions applying for jobs, housing, educational programs and firearms ownership.
Other penalties of a sex crime conviction include:
- Up to life in state prison
- Public notice and publication of your name and residence wherever you live
- Lengthy probationary period
- Court-ordered GPS monitoring through an ankle device
- Court-ordered sex offender treatment
Defense Attorneys Known For Integrity
We know the prosecutors and the judges in counties in Quincy, Canton, and throughout the state. We are respected for our integrity, diligence and hard work. When we meet with prosecutors to discuss options to avoid a conviction, we are treated with respect, and our proposals are taken seriously.
Attorney Richard Sweeney recently defended two of the largest child pornography cases in Massachusetts history in federal court, and he has defended numerous other child pornography cases in federal court and state courts across Massachusetts.
We handle all misdemeanor and felony sex offenses such as:
- Aggravated sexual assault, rape
- Misdemeanor sexual assault
- Sexual assault of a minor, child sexual abuse
- College student date rape, statutory rape
- Indecent assault and battery
- Solicitation of a prostitute
- Child pornography (possession, distribution and production)
- Indecent exposure, lewd and lascivious acts
- Any of the above sex crimes committed by juveniles
Free, Confidential Consultation
Please contact us online or call us at (617) 300-0212 to speak with one of our lawyers confidentially. We are responsive 24/7, offer fixed and hourly billing rates, and accept all major credit cards.
Contact us today to learn more about how our sex crime lawyers can defend you.
Read Real Testimonials
My family and I are very grateful.C.M.
Sweeney & Associates is simply the best.Mary C.
I am so grateful to you and your teamK.R.
We Provide Fixed & Hourly Billing Rates
Backed By 20+ Years Of Experience
Retired Sergeant Boston Police Drug Unit
Free Confidential Consultations
Available 24/7 To Answer Your Call