A drug trafficking conviction involving any controlled substance can put you behind bars for years. If you or a loved one has been charged with drug trafficking, you need strong defense representation immediately. You should not talk to law enforcement until you have talked to your attorney.
At the Quincy law firm of Sweeney & Associates, LLC, our defense team is thoroughly experienced with serious felony drug cases. We understand mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines, and we are known for getting the most favorable possible results for clients facing jail time and other severe consequences. As your attorneys, we will do everything in our power to negotiate drug trafficking charges down to lesser drug charges.
Penalties of Drug Trafficking
The penalties that you face will depend on whether you were alleged to be trafficking a Class A, B, C, D or E drug in Massachusetts and what amount of that drug was being trafficked. Potential penalties include:
- Class A drugs include heroin, morphine, codeine, and ketamine.
- Class B drugs include cocaine, crack, opium, methamphetamine (meth), LSD, Ecstasy, oxycodone, OxyContin, and methadone.
- Class C drugs include peyote, clonazepam, psilocybin, and mescaline.
- Class D drugs include marijuana, nitrous acid, and nitrites (poppers).
- Class E drugs include smaller amounts of codeine, dihydrocodeine, opium, and other narcotics and prescription drugs not included in the other classes.
The burden of proof rests with the prosecuting attorney, who must prove that you were in possession of a minimum amount (measured by weight) for the particular drug and that you intended to distribute that amount.
There are many points in the case against you that our team will be able to challenge, and we will put significant pressure on the prosecution to reduce the charges and penalties that you face.
What is the Mandatory Minimum Sentence for Drug Trafficking?
The mandatory minimum sentence for drug trafficking can vary depending on the circumstances:
- if death or serious injury results: 20 years
- With prior drug felony convictions: 20 years
- with prior drug felony conviction if death or serious injury results, or with two or more drug felony convictions: Life sentence
- repeat offender: 10 years
- Simple possession of a controlled substance with 1 prior conviction: 15 days
- Drug Kingpin: 20 years
- Firearms involved in drug trafficking: 7 years - life
- Serious violent felony with 2 or more prior serious drug and/or violent felony convictions: life sentence
Why Sweeney & Associates, LLC?
Attorney Richard Sweeney is a retired Boston police sergeant detective of 13 years. As a trial lawyer, he brings over 15 years of criminal defense experience to your case. Attorney Sweeney knows the challenges that you face, and he's one of the top criminal defense attorneys in Massachusetts.
Attorney Sweeney commanded one of Boston's elite drug units for years. He trained officers across the state on investigative techniques, arrest procedures, and evidence collection in drug cases.
We know how to mitigate the charges and protect your freedoms:
- We will protect your constitutional rights.
- We will examine the evidence in the case against you, and then, build a defense based on the information we discover that is in your favor.
- We will challenge the probable cause for search and seizure.
- We will find any procedural mistakes made in the course of investigation, arrest, evidence gathering, witness interviews or drug lab analysis.
- We will examine the procedures and test results from the drug lab, which have been known to contain inaccuracies and drug sample contaminations.
We will take immediate action in your defense and protect your reputation proactively. One of the most important decisions you will make is who to hire as your attorney. This decision can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Contact Our Office In Massachusetts Today!
Please contact us online or call us today at (617) 300-0212 to speak with one of our Quincy lawyers about defense for you or a family member. We offer fixed and hourly billing rates, and we accept all major credit cards.
Free Case Evaluation
Sweeney & Associates, LLC is proud to offer prospective clients a complimentary
initial case evaluation. We understand that every case is unique and will take this
time to get to know the details of your situation and begin discussing your legal
options for achieving the best possible outcome. As we understand that the reputation
of you and your family is at stake, this consultation is completely confidential.
Read Real Testimonials
Excellent criminal defense attorneyLaura
You told me you would resolve it and you did.G.L.
Outstanding Representation and ServiceK.C.